Monday, May 7, 2012

A Sweet and Simple Sunday

Yesterday I did not go to church (gasp). I have not missed church attendance very often throughout my life, and I do feel a bit guilty about not going yesterday. The reason I didn't go is not relevant. The day did, nonetheless, turn out very nicely.

My granddaughter was spending the night. She was exhausted when she went to bed, and I decided not to wake her Sunday morning. So the house was quiet and I tried to keep it quiet and peaceful.

I was up early. I dressed and went to the living room with my morning orange juice. I settled into the sofa with my Bible and journal and had a time of personal Bible Study. I am currently in the book of Lamentations. It is a heart-wrenching collection of poems mourning the destruction of Jerusalem by the Babylonians and recounting the horrors and suffering of the 18 months of siege before the city walls were broken through. It is emotionally hard to read, but gives a person a lot to think about.

I did nothing in a hurry, but opted for a slow, relaxed morning. Eventually, my stomach demanded attention and I brewed a pot of coffee and cooked my bowl of oatmeal with blueberries and honey (my favorite breakfast). Yum.

About 10:15 Megan woke up and wandered out. I heard sounds in the back yard and went out on the deck to talk to my son-in-law. He was moving very slowly and stiffly, having run a half-marathon in a cold rain the day before. His way of dealing with pain is to work. He was running the weed trimmer in preparation for mowing. When Megan realized what her dad was doing, she hopped up, dressed, and ran out to help.

My quiet and simple day continued. I worked on a photo book for a while.

After the mowing was completed, Megan and I went to the Village Inn for a late lunch. We had a lovely, relaxed time, visiting while we waited for our food, taking our time eating. We returned home, where I skimmed the Sunday paper and worked the puzzles while Megan played chess on the computer.

Then it was time for our weekly Bible Study. We were on Deuteronomy in my Introduction to the Bible course that I call Bible 101. An hour later we felt the need of some fresh air and exercise, so out the door we went for a quick walk around the neighborhood. I wish I had taken my camera, for we passed so many lilacs in full bloom in various shades of purple and also in white.

Back home we settled down to read aloud from the book we are currently sharing. At 8:30 my daughter called to tell Megan it was time to come home and get ready for bed.

A lovely day. Nothing special to anyone else, but I deeply appreciated it.





No comments:

Post a Comment