Sunday, May 13, 2012

Reflections on Mother's Day

My reflection on Mother's Day.
 (Just a little joke here.)
I am a daughter, a mother, and a grandmother. Today I reflect on Mother's Day from all these viewpoints.

No matter how old I become, I am still my mother's daughter. She formed me and marked my life indelibly. Until her death at age 94, I still responded to her as her daughter, not as a senior citizen adult myself, not as a caretaker, but as her daughter. She still is a voice in my head. I constantly see traits in myself that came directly from her. I'm not the woman she was, but the woman I am owes much to her. I miss her.

My Mother's earring,
which she made herself.
I am wearing them today.
My mother loved earrings; particularly dangly earrings. She had quite a collection of earrings, many of which she made herself. Even when she became housebound due to the degeneration of her bones, she still put on her earrings every day. To honor her at her memorial service a number of her daughters, granddaughters, and great-granddaughters wore her earrings. Today, in the memory of my wonderful mother, I am wearing her earrings that I wore that day.

Being a mother myself is the most treasured part of my life. I loved motherhood, from the time I first felt those little stirrings within my body, through the sleep-deprived days of babyhood, the thrill of first steps, first words, first days of school, teenage angst, and the time of nest-leaving. My children are adults now, but I will always be their mother. I will always love them, worry about them, be grateful for them, and appreciate them for the people they have become. I am so thankful for the gift of being a mother.

I have blogged about my weekends with Megan, my granddaughter. She is a jewel decorating my life. Being a grandparent is as lovely as being a parent, without the sleepless nights, nursing through days of stomach flu, wiping runny noses, and having to make sure the child learns discipline and responsibility! Grandparenting is fun, satisfying, and full of love. I thank my daughter and son-in-law for the gift of this wonderful child.

No comments:

Post a Comment