Saturday, June 14, 2014

This Morning

This morning I woke up early. Not an unusual thing in the summertime, with daylight arriving early and leaving late (which I love). After my morning getting-ready-for-the-day routine, some breakfast, and the daily morning dosing for my various medical issues, I watched TV while waiting for the day to warm up.

We had about an inch and four-tenths of rain earlier in the week, and last night had another tenth.

The petunias are coming along nicely (please ignore the view across the alley
of the hoarder's backyard).
By ten o'clock the sun was shining, it was pleasantly warm, and a perfect morning to be outdoors. I had two last plants that needed transplanted, and it was time to do it.

One was a lone, leftover petunia. I just put it in a small pot I hadn't planned on using this year.

The other was a rather large tomato plant.

I had decided this year to grow tomatoes in the two large corner pots on my deck. I bought two sizes of tomato plants (different varieties), in hope that the fruiting season would thus be extended. One is a nice, healthy, sturdy, but small yet, plant and the other was a large plant. I planted the small one at the same time as I was planting flowers.

There was a problem with transplanting the big one. It was in a large, tough plastic pot with an equally tough attached cage. I thought about just leaving it in the pot it came in, but really wanted it in the big pot.

This morning Chad was working in his backyard and I called down to him for help. He performed successful surgery on the plastic cage and got the tomato extracted. It is now living in the big pot and I hope I'll get a nice tomato crop from it.

Now I'll just be worried about hail and wind storms!

Having finished my little planting chores, it was time to relax and enjoy a cup of coffee on the deck.

There is a lot of humidity in the air, and the clouds began rapidly building up. Between ten and eleven o'clock we went from sunny to cloudy. The clouds were moving fast. I watched a large black cloud move in and then, just as quickly, it moved over and was gone. But there were more following it. I sky-watched for awhile before I came in. Clouds are always fascinating.

And that was my morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment