Monday, January 14, 2013

Thoughts from the Cryptoquote

This evening I solved the Cryptoquote in the local newspaper, and the quote that was revealed gave me food for thought.

Here is the quote:

     Now that it's all over, what did you really do yesterday that's worth mentioning?
             --Coleman Cox
First, I thought about this quote from the perspective of my days. I lead a very quiet life and most of what I do is not of any real importance to anyone else. In general, I enjoy these quiet days of my retirement--the so-called "Golden Years." But I would have to admit that there is not a lot worth mentioning the next day, unless you are interested in what I've been reading, watching on TV, or doing as a few household chores.

Next, I thought about the quote from the perspective of a Blogger. Most of the above paragraph applies here. I don't blog every day because sometimes I don't feel like I have anything worth mentioning.

Lastly, I thought about this from the perspective of a Christian. Should I be beating myself up with a guilt trip because I don't have some deep spiritual experience or insight every day, or because I haven't done anything in particular to advance the cause of Christ? I have come to the conclusion there is very little to be gained and much to be lost by such self-flagellation. I am not the Apostle Paul, but I am a child of God, and there I rest.

In the busy days of my life, with family, job, and church responsibilities, I could have found something worth mentioning every day. In my senior years, living alone and no longer tied to a job or to the care of my mother, I find that I have adjusted to my current lifestyle and am usually content. Perhaps that, in itself, is the thing that is worth mentioning!

No comments:

Post a Comment