Saturday, March 24, 2012

Body Parts

Jerry
I woke up quite early this morning. Lying in bed in the dark, my thoughts turned to my husband, Jerry, and some of the things he used to do. I remembered how good he was at connecting with and helping people. He never sought attention for the things he did; he just did them. He spent many hours visiting with people who were too ill or infirm to get out and go to church. He sat with families in the hospital waiting room while they kept vigil for a very ill loved one. He helped people get home from the hospital when they had no transportation, then kept in touch. He listened. He shoveled their walks when it snowed. He mowed grass in the summer. He served them because he was a servant of Christ.

Jerry also could sing or preach or teach or pray in church. He was good at developing group participation. But I think he touched hearts the most by his quiet help, his friendly visits, and his undemanding presence with those most people forgot about.

I do not have these particular people skills, which came from his heart. I feel very awkward with people I don't know well. I get involved in my own little world. Sometimes I feel very guilty because I do not have the kind of outreach Jerry did. I have heard many sermons in my lifetime of church-going in which congregations are encouraged, urged, or scolded in an effort to get them busy winning people to Christ. The congregation may come away feeling they are expected to be out knocking on doors, pursuing people with Bible in hand. Some people may be drawn to Christ through outreach evangelism, some may be drawn through a sermon or lesson they hear in church, but how many are drawn to Christ by the simple loving-kindness of people living out the spirit of Jesus?

When I start getting the guilts over the things I'm just not good at in serving Christ, I remember that this very thing is dealt with in the Scriptures:
For in fact the body is not one member but many. If the foot should say, "Because I am not a hand, I am not of the body," is it therefore not of the body? And if the ear should say, "Because I am not an eye, I am not of the body," is it therefore not of the body? If the whole body were an eye, where would be the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where would be the smelling? But now God has set the members, each one of them, in the body just as He pleased. (I Corinthians 12:14-18 NKJV)
I do need to be more aware of the needs and hurts of people around me. But I also have the abilities and opportunities God gave me, and those are what He expects me to be using. I can't be Jerry, but I must be Michelle.

2 comments:

  1. One of my childhood memories is of riding on a trip home from Gillette to Scottsbluff. You were in the back seat with us kids and I had a miserable leg ache. I remember you rubbing my leg for a long time. You were aware of my hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you also always made me feel special, not because i had a disability, but because i was me.

    ReplyDelete