Thursday, February 6, 2014

The Big 1955 Mackey Family Reunion

In the summer of 1955 the Mackey siblings and their families gathered to celebrate the 50th Wedding Anniversary of Will and Rhoda Mackey. I was 14 years old that summer and had my own little Kodak Brownie camera. I took photos of all the family groupings, as did pretty much everyone there who had a camera. My photos are very poor quality compared to what we can get with today's digital cameras. I imagine some of the families have photos of the event that are of better quality, but I am offering what I have.

These are what we call memory pictures. While the quality is poor, they stimulate memories. So, here are some memories from almost 59 years ago. (How is it possible that so much time has passed?!)

Will and Rhoda Mackey with their seven surviving children (in order of their birth): Vera, Boyce, Rose, Elsie, Bess, Joe, and Bob 
Kerry, Gary, Larry, Glen Jr., Vera, and Glen Rogers
Jerry, Boyce, Joel, Jessie, and Doris Mackey
The McLaughlins. Back Row: Terry, Grace, Michelle, Rose, Red
Front Row: Kathryn (Brownie), Kathleen (Pinkie), Hugh. And Nancy Mackey, who happened by at that moment! (Terry was expecting Johnny and Grace was expecting Mike.)
Lee, Elsie, Nick, and Bill Tyrrell
Bess, Diane, and Dennis Sauble
Joe, Dorothy, Nancy, and Cheryl Mackey
From back to front: Bob (holding Deb), Dorothy (who is expecting Tom), Bobbie, Jackie, Dudley, and Bert Mackey
The Cousins
Some of the younger cousins playing on a tractor.
Just our grandparents, their children, and their children's children (three generations) are a lot of people. I have no idea how many descendants Will and Rhoda have by now! Maybe there is a family historian out there who tracks all of this. It would be interesting to know.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! How wonderful that you have those photos. It would be fun to see how many descendants they have now. Weird fact, just last night I was marveling that there are 5 people in this world who exist only because Mike & I found one another. It blows my mind to think of how many there could be in a few more generations.

    ReplyDelete